British citizens: Ensure your rights to stay in Denmark post-Brexit

Foto: James Giddins / Unsplash

If you are a British citizen living in Denmark, make sure to apply for an EU registration certificate before 29 March, if you do not already have one.

Deal or no-deal, Brexit causes concern for many British citizens living and working or studying in Denmark. On the web site of The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark, you can read that: “it is a clear priority for the Danish government to ensure that British citizens who have chosen to live in Denmark are treated fairly, regardless of how the negotiations develop.”

The Danish government therefore encourages British citizens living here, to ensure they have documentation of their right to stay, before 29 March 2019, when the United Kingdom leaves the EU.

To help guide our British members through that jungle, we have collected a few helpful links and information here.

Do you have an EU registration certificate?

If you are a British citizen or a family member of a British citizen residing in Denmark under the EU rules on free movement without being in possession of an EU registration certificate (issued for EU citizens) or an EU residence card (issued for third country nationals) respectively, you are encouraged to submit an application for such documentation before 29 March 2019.

This will make it easier for you to prove that you have a right of residence, and, conversely, make it easier for the Danish authorities to determine that you are residing legally in Denmark on 29 March, when the United Kingdom leaves the EU.

Applications for registration certificates and residence cards are submitted to the State Administration.

Read more about the application and documentation for your basis for residence.

If you have already once been issued a document or card, which confirms your right of residence in Denmark under the EU rules on free movement, you do not need to do anything now.

In case you have lost your residence document

In case you have lost your residence document or card, you should apply for a new one. Read more about how to do that here.

Transitional period in case of no-deal

In the event of a no deal-scenario, the Danish government will put forward a legislative proposal establishing a temporary transitional scheme by which existing EU-rights are extended for a transitional period. The envisaged law is intended to apply to British citizens and their family members, who are legally residing in Denmark on 29 March 2019 in accordance with EU rules on free movement.

Under this temporary transitional scheme, resident British citizens and their families will continue to reside, work, attend school, and access health care provisions much as they have done as EU Citizens. The envisaged law will apply until replaced by a permanent solution.

Read more about how Brexit affects you as a British citizen living in Denmark.